error compiling X

David C david at desolateonline.com
Sat Nov 2 13:31:03 PST 2002

On Saturday 02 November 2002 02:58 pm, you wrote:

> Hmmm, something funny is going on with your system.  One point
> is you should read the thread on optimizations.  The -O3 stuff
> you use most likely _slows_ down your system.  In your other
> post, you were not editing C code.  Did you have optimizations on
> when you compiled gcc or glibc?  X should be a _very_ simple install.
> I have built X dozens of times with no errors and X is built
> thousands of times by many people.  I really think it is something in
> your tool chain.  Maybe a typo when you were building your base LFS
> system, or compiling gcc or glibc with optimizations?  Since you have
> not built many packages beyond the base LFS, maybe it is a good idea
> to start over?
>
> Jim Drabb

Sigh this is very frustrating. No, I did not use any optimizations when
compiling gcc or glibc nor any other packages that the LFS book said I
shouldn't.

I think it is something in my system too, but here is the odd thing:

Altogether I found "errors" in 4 files:
gram.y
xftgram.y
xkbparse.y
cfgparse.y

In two of them it was a missing ";" in the other two it was an extra
";". It's as if the semi-colon's from the first two files somehow
warped to the other two.

Because of this, I suspected corrupted downloads, but the md5sums check
out perfectly. I even downloaded fresh sources via ftp, verified
md5sums, unpacked them, and found that sure enough, the "errors" were
in them too.

This is the damndest thing I ever saw. I don't see how this could be
cause by a bad glibc or gcc. In fact, I can't even see it being the ftp
program, because I originally downloaded the files using gFTP from
within my host, and this last time I used ftp from command line, also
from my host.

I suppose I'll have to start over, sigh.

Oh, by the way. After "fixing" those 4 files, make World did finish with
no errors, but make install gives the following error:

gcc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -march=i386
-mcpu=athlon-tbird -ansi -pedantic -pipe   -I../../include/extensions
-I../.. -I../../exports/include   -Dlinux -D__i386__
-D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE
-D_SVID_SOURCE  -D_GNU_SOURCE   -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO       -c
-o xkbparse.o xkbparse.c
xkbparse.y: In function `yyparse':
xkbparse.y:329: `VarCrdepending' undeclared (first use in this function)
xkbparse.y:329: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
xkbparse.y:329: for each function it appears in.)
xkbparse.y:329: parse error before "in"
xkbparse.y:330: stray '`' in program
xkbparse.y:330:58: missing terminating ' character
xkbparse.y:330:58: empty character constant
xkbparse.y:335: stray '`' in program
xkbparse.y:335:57: missing terminating ' character
xkbparse.y:335:57: empty character constant
xkbparse.y:337: stray '`' in program
xkbparse.y:337:49: missing terminating ' character
xkbparse.y:337:49: empty character constant
xkbparse.y:339: stray '`' in program
xkbparse.y:339:40: missing terminating ' character
xkbparse.y:339:40: empty character constant
make[3]: *** [xkbparse.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/programs/xkbcomp'
make[2]: *** [install] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/programs'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I have no choice but to start over I think. This problem is still way
too far beyond my current ability to solve.

If it happens to anyone else, or anyone finds a solution, I'd love to
hear about it.

Thanks

--
David C.