error compiling X

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Nov 2 12:58:38 PST 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 12:02:06PM -0600, David C wrote:
> On Saturday 02 November 2002 07:41 am, you wrote:
>

> > David,
> >
> > Did you try and follow the xfree86+freetype.txt hint?  I just
> > finished and the hint works well.  I would rm -Rf xc/ and untar
> > the source again to start with a clean build and follow the hint to
> > tee.
> >
> > Jim Drabb
>
> Still no joy. I tried again, this time using the xfree86+freetype.txt
> hint from within my native LFS environment rather than chroot. The only
> deviation I made from the hint is I used XFree86-4.2.0 and the 4.2.1
> diff patch instead of the older version the hint uses. I also added
> -fomit-frame-pointer to the hints suggested optimizations, hoping to
> reduce the size a bit and perhaps speed up compile some too. Once again
> I cannot even get past make World now.
>
> --
> David C.
> Linux user #277013
> david at desolateonline dot com

Hmmm, something funny is going on with your system.  One point
is you should read the thread on optimizations.  The -O3 stuff
you use most likely _slows_ down your system.  In your other
post, you were not editing C code.  Did you have optimizations on
when you compiled gcc or glibc?  X should be a _very_ simple install.
I have built X dozens of times with no errors and X is built thousands
of times by many people.  I really think it is something in your tool
chain.  Maybe a typo when you were building your base LFS system, or
compiling gcc or glibc with optimizations?  Since you have not built
many packages beyond the base LFS, maybe it is a good idea to start over?

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL