error compiling X

David C david at desolateonline.com
Sat Nov 2 11:03:35 PST 2002

On Saturday 02 November 2002 12:48 pm, you wrote:

> Hmm, actually I think maybe it IS a typo, though I'll be damned if I
> know why it's only affecting me. I just corrected it and am going to
> try recompiling and see what happens. If it works I'll let ya know.
>
> I'm an extreme C newbie, but here is where I think the typo is:
>
> In the file xc/lib/Xft/xftgram.y lines 161 - 172 are as follows:
>
> matrix	:   OS number number number number CS
> 		{
> 		    matrix.xx = $2;
> 		    matrix.xy = $3;
> 		    matrix.yx = $4;
> 		    matrix.__REALLY_YY__ = $5;
> 		}
> number	:   INTEGER
> 		{ $$ = (double) $1; }
>
> 	        |   DOUBLE
>
> 	        ;
>
> I believe they should really be:
>
> matrix	:   OS number number number number CS
> 		{
> 		    matrix.xx = $2;
> 		    matrix.xy = $3;
> 		    matrix.yx = $4;
> 		    matrix.__REALLY_YY__ = $5;
> 		}
>                 ;
> number	:   INTEGER
> 		{ $$ = (double) $1; }
>
> 	        |   DOUBLE
>
> 	        ;
>
> Note the ending ";" for the matrix section. From my limited knowledge
> of Perl and PHP, this looks right and I'm hoping it transfers over to
> C as well. I'm going to attempt a compile now, and I'll let you know
> in a few...
> Wish me luck!

Errrr, OK that did fix that problem, in that it compiled a bit farther
before giving basically the same error, just in a different file:

depending in programs/twm...
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xc/programs/twm'
flex -l  -t lex.l > lex.c
bison -y -d gram.y
gram.y:657.9: parse error, unexpected ":", expecting ";" or "|"
make[3]: *** [gram.c] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/programs/twm'
make[2]: *** [depend] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/programs'
make[1]: *** [depend] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc'
make: *** [World] Error 2

This makes me think there's some error in the way gcc is parsing things,
or some other error in my system. Can anyone shed some light on this
mess?

For now I guess I'll go ahead and 'fix' this file as well. Sigh...

--
David C.
Linux user #277013

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org