error compiling X

David C david at desolateonline.com
Sat Nov 2 10:48:10 PST 2002

On Saturday 02 November 2002 12:02 pm, you wrote:

> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/lib/Xrender'
> depending in lib/Xft...
> make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xc/lib/Xft'
> flex -l  xftlex.l
> sed 's/yy/XftConfig/g' lex.yy.c | sed 's/__REALLY_YY__/yy/' >
> xftlex.c && rm -f lex.yy.c
> bison -y -d xftgram.y
> xftgram.y:168.8: parse error, unexpected ":", expecting ";" or "|"
> xftgram.y:169.3-6: $$ of `matrix' has no declared type
> make[3]: *** [xftgram.c] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/lib/Xft'
> make[2]: *** [depend] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/lib'
> make[1]: *** [depend] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc'
> make: *** [World] Error 2
>
> Any idea what can be causing this? Could the line with 'parse error'
> in it indicate a typho somewhere? Or the next line about matrix
> having no declared type - bug in source code? I highly doubt it's
> either of these, since it obviously must work for most everyone else.
> It even worked for me on my last LFS install (the cvs version that
> was basically equal to the as yet unreleased LFS 4.0)

Hmm, actually I think maybe it IS a typo, though I'll be damned if I
know why it's only affecting me. I just corrected it and am going to
try recompiling and see what happens. If it works I'll let ya know.

I'm an extreme C newbie, but here is where I think the typo is:

In the file xc/lib/Xft/xftgram.y lines 161 - 172 are as follows:

matrix	:   OS number number number number CS
		{
		    matrix.xx = $2;
		    matrix.xy = $3;
		    matrix.yx = $4;
		    matrix.__REALLY_YY__ = $5;
		}
number	:   INTEGER
		{ $$ = (double) $1; }
	        |   DOUBLE
	        ;

I believe they should really be:

matrix	:   OS number number number number CS
		{
		    matrix.xx = $2;
		    matrix.xy = $3;
		    matrix.yx = $4;
		    matrix.__REALLY_YY__ = $5;
		}
                ;
number	:   INTEGER
		{ $$ = (double) $1; }
	        |   DOUBLE
	        ;

Note the ending ";" for the matrix section. From my limited knowledge of
Perl and PHP, this looks right and I'm hoping it transfers over to C as
well. I'm going to attempt a compile now, and I'll let you know in a
few...
Wish me luck!

--
David C.