error compiling X

David C david at desolateonline.com
Sat Nov 2 07:55:04 PST 2002

On Saturday 02 November 2002 07:41 am, you wrote:

> Did you try and follow the xfree86+freetype.txt hint?  I just
> finished and the hint works well.  I would rm -Rf xc/ and untar
> the source again to start with a clean build and follow the hint to
> tee.
>
> Jim Drabb

Not yet but I'm going to try it right now. I can't even get past the
make World part now without the compile erroring out. Hmm, I just
realized I have compiler optimizations set. I wonder if these could be
the problem?:

export CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-tbird -mcpu=athlon-tbird
-fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -s -pipe" &&
CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

Those are the optimizations I use to compile everything that doesn't
warn against it.

Also I'm doing this from within a chroot environment, which I know
borked my attempt at installing Mozilla on my last LFS system. I'm
hoping to use chroot to get just enough of a working LFS to comfortably
continue from within the native environment. For me this means x with
twm, gpm, ftp, and lynx or links and that's pretty much it.

I'll try using the hint now, and without optimizations. COme to think of
it, I think I used that hint the last time I installed x, and it worked
like a charm as you said...

Thanks
--
David C.