fontconfig mess

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Nov 2 05:48:34 PST 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 11:23:44PM +1300, Simon Geard wrote:
> James Drabb wrote:
>
> > Hey group,
> >
> > Has anyone had problems with fontconfig?  I just installed X-4.2.1
> > last night  and then tried to install gnome-2.x using the cvsgnome
> > script.  This script has worked many times before, however it is
> > crapping out now.  I had a royal pain in the arse to get
> > fontconfig to install.  When I untarred the fontconfig tarball
> > there are a few directories.  I managed to get fontconfig, Xrender,
> > and Xft to install.  However, Xft1 won't build for me : (  Now
> > cvsgnome
>
> Yes, fontconfig gave me quite a lot of difficulty when I tried
> installing it earlier this week - had to make a number of changes to the
> build stuff to get it to work. I haven't tried pango and co yet though -
> being on a 56k line, I'm going to wait until the official release of
> gnome 2.1, whenever that is...
>
> Simon.

I got the whole mess to compile.  I rm -Rf /usr/X11R6 and followed
the hint for xfree86+freetype and then followed tush's docbook hint.
My first attempt failed because I forgot to download docbook patches
from tush's site : )  I also had problems with pango until I realized
that the pagno code was using #include <freetype/freetype.h> and
the gcc invocation for pango was doing -I/usr/include/freetype2 however
I have freetype-1 and freetype-2 installed and gcc was pulling in
<freetype/freetype.h> from /usr/include/freetype which is freetype-1.
I did a mv /usr/include/freetype /usr/include/freetyp1 and pango then
grabbed the correct freetype2 and compiled fine.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst
Darden Restaurants