Tourning around of a dream...

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Nov 2 02:27:16 PST 2002

Horacio Ferrero wrote:

> Tired to make Evolution I've tried to rpming it and after a dozen of
> prerequisites installed before, I got a "running" evolution which at
> the beginning outputs the following message:
>
> Cannot access Bonobo/Config Database on wombat:
>
> Nobody knows how it appears but I feel less sad because I'm not
> alone!!!

That one I can help you with - I had the same problem, and tracked down
an answer via google on some obscure mailing list. Here's from my post
on the topic a few months ago...

> Simon Geard wrote:
>
> > However, when I try to run it, I get a popup box saying "Cannot
> > initialise the Ximian Evolution shell: Configuration Database not
> > found". In the terminal I ran it from, I get
> > "evolution-shell-WARNING**: Cannot access Bonobo/ConfigDatabase on
> > wombat:(IDL:OAF/GeneralError:1.0)".
>
> Aha... got it, after a fair bit of searching found a small mailing
> list reference to the problem. It seems a number of Gnome related
> environment variables need to be set correctly... I'm using the script
> below to start the program now...
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> GNOME_PATH=/opt/gnome
> EVO_PATH=/opt/evolution
>
> export PATH=$PATH:$GNOME_PATH/bin:$EVO_PATH/bin
> export GNOME_PATH=$GNOME_PATH:$EVO_PATH
> export OAF_INFO_PATH=$EVO_PATH/share/oaf:$GNOME_PATH/share/oaf
>
> exec $EVO_PATH/bin/evolution

The key thing is that OAF_INFO_PATH variable - I've no idea what it is,
but it's obviously fairly important.

Hope that works for you...

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org