error compiling X

David C david at desolateonline.com
Fri Nov 1 19:33:17 PST 2002

I got the following problem compiling XFree86 4.2.0 with the 4.2.1 diff
patch:
.
snip
.
installing in lib/GL/GL...
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xc/lib/GL/GL'
make[4]: *** No rule to make target `../../../lib/GL/glx/?*.o', needed
by `libGL.a'.  Stop.
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/lib/GL/GL'
make[3]: *** [install] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/lib/GL'
make[2]: *** [install] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/lib'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc'
make: *** [install] Error 2
root:/usr/src/xc#

I installed freetype first, and made some adjustments to the host.def
file, such as cpu type, etc. But that's about it. I got this error
after running the:

make install &&
make install.man

part of the BLFS book instructions for installing X. My system is the
CVS LFS version from 2 days ago, and since installing it, Freetype and
X are the first packages I have attempted to install. I did do some of
the other config files though, such a .bash-profile and stuff.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks
--
David C.