newbie question

David C david at desolateonline.com
Fri Nov 1 08:45:24 PST 2002

On Friday 01 November 2002 05:44 am, you wrote:
> * Declan Moriarty <declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie> [2002-11-01 09:01]:
> > >
> > > Shouldn't that be:
> > > http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/bootcd.txt
> >
> > Er,  ... Yes.  It looks a little better that way. Might even work
> > ;-). Who put the forward slash beside the full stop on the keyboard
> > anyway?
>
> Not any more. That url gives 'Error 404: Page not found'.
>
> If you try: http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/ you get:
> Main server offline, some services are suspended for the time being.
>
> Then you are invited to try some mirrors. They all give the same url
> for hints: http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/
>
> If you want to avoid this cycle, you must guess the correct url
> for the mirror, bearing in mind some of the mirrors do (did?) not
> support ftp. There was a page that said where the ftp mirrors were,
> but I cannot find that anymore. I have been using this mirror:
>
> ftp://ftp.se.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/lfs-hints/
>
> Richard
I suppose I could host the main domain for a few months as long as the
bandwidth requirements stay under about 10gigs/mo. I know that's
nowhere near enough to handle the ftp traffic, but perhaps it can at
least host a fully functional primary site with working links to
mirrors.

I read about LFS's problems with their host. If my offer is silly, I
apologize, I'd just like to help any way I can.

By the way, this is no home server on a DSL line. It is located in a
true NOC with multiple high speed connections to the net backbone, and
is rock solid. It's a paid hosting account I use for various projects,
but is unused for now and will be for several months.

I am willing to make any needed domain/MX/etc changes needed.

Just let me know.
--
David C.
Linux user #277013