newbie question

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Fri Nov 1 03:44:12 PST 2002

* Declan Moriarty <declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie> [2002-11-01 09:01]:
> Was it Carsten Gehrke who wrote on Thursday 31 October 2002 21:14:
>
> > >There's an unwritten rule with linux. Whatever you can't do has been
> > >documented in some out of the way place.
> > >http://hints/linuxfromscratch.org/hints/bootcd.txt
> >
> > Shouldn't that be:
> > http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/bootcd.txt
>
> Er,  ... Yes.  It looks a little better that way. Might even work ;-). Who
> put the forward slash beside the full stop on the keyboard anyway?

Not any more. That url gives 'Error 404: Page not found'.

If you try: http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/ you get:
Main server offline, some services are suspended for the time being.

Then you are invited to try some mirrors. They all give the same url
for hints: http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/

If you want to avoid this cycle, you must guess the correct url
for the mirror, bearing in mind some of the mirrors do (did?) not
support ftp. There was a page that said where the ftp mirrors were,
but I cannot find that anymore. I have been using this mirror:

ftp://ftp.se.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/lfs-hints/

Richard
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org