Route confusion

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Oct 31 22:04:24 PST 2001

Debian User wrote:

> I have a static IP address so I added the following to
> /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> GATEWAY=<MY IP ADDRESS>
> GATEWAY_IF=eth0
>
> and I get back
>
> FAILED  on bootup

I don't know.  The route command from the ethnet script works for me (LFS
3.0) - that's the one that uses the GATEWAY variables.  It even works if I
down eth0 first.  I'm running it by hand - I use dhcp instead of the ethnet
script.

Are you sure adding the GATEWAY lines is what caused your error?  Did you
use an your actual IP address on the GATEWAY= line (and not the literal <MY
IP ADDRESS>)?

Looking through the CVS and 3.0 book, I don't understand the scripts.  The
ethnet script brings up interfaces defined in
/etc/sysconfig/nic-config/ifcfg* but those files aren't created anywhere,
that I could see.  Well, it's late - maybe I missed something.

In any case, if all you have is eth0 (one NIC), I don't think you want to
use its IP as your gateway.  If your machine is on an isolated ethernet, I
guess it doesn't matter because you can't route anywhere in the first
place.  But if your network has a connection to the outside, that's the IP
you want for your gateway.

HTH.

Dave

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org