telnet client

elko elko at home.nl
Wed Oct 31 08:03:58 PST 2001

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 16:28, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> > where do you get nc these days?
>
> Wow, that nice little util just disappeared off the face of the earth
> now didn't it...

I agree, it's hard to find, the links on
http://www.sans.org/infosecFAQ/audit/netcat.htm
do not seem to help very much, as does Google (not).

> Hmm, found it @ http://www.codetalker.com/downloads/

That one doesn't seem to work:

--[snip]--
[elko at ElkOS ~/compilerhell/nc]$ tar xzvf nc110.tgz
tar: Child died with signal 11
--[snip]--

> There's a new version here supporting IPv6: (scroll to bottom)
> http://project6.ferrara.linux.it/sections/sources.php

yes, at ftp://ferrara.linux.it/pub/ipv6/sources/nc6-0.1.tar.bz2

> Yea, and nice to always recomend ssh but sometimes the silly admin
> must deal with silly hardware that just doesn't suport it.  eg.
> routers

If you need encryption, use cryptcat:
http://farm9.com/content/Free_Tools/Cryptcat

I can't remember where I got `nc' from, but I have the real one here:
http://members.home.nl/elko/projects/netcat/download/nc-1.10.tar.bz2

Another one, tcpcat:
http://www.gusnet.cx/proj/tcpcat/

PS: for all of you who don't know what netcat is, read this first:
http://www.networkice.com/Advice/Reference/Tools/netcat/default.htm

HTH

--
ElkOS: 4:50pm up 8 days, 2:21, 3 users, load average: 3.41, 2.86, 2.67
bofhX: Someone hooked the twisted pair wires into the answering machine.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org