power down & swap

Wolfgang Kerler wolfgang.kerler at epost.de
Wed Oct 31 05:56:47 PST 2001

shifted soul wrote:

> Hi
> I had RH 7.0,
> when I call halt it really shutdown the computer (i.e.
> power off), but with the lfs it tells me only power
> down.
> I've tried shutdown -h now, with the same conclusion.
> second question :
> I had 32 MB of RAM and the swap was 64 MB, I upgraded
> to 160 MB of RAM (with a + of 128) do I have to
> upgrade the swap to 320 MB ( for information I have a
> 4GB disk).
> thanx
> bye

(--snip--)

This is not a problem of RAM/swap, but of a missing option in the kernel
configuration. Do a "make menuconfig" on your LFS as it is described in the
book and look for the advanced power management (apm) section. You have to
enable the power management of the kernel there! If you don't know which
options you need you can have a look at the file /usr/src/linux/.config on
your old RH 7 and compare it with the same file on your LFS.

Wolfgang
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org