Xine guru needed

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Tue Oct 30 23:49:12 PST 2001

I'm not a Xine guru but I can share my (mostly painful) experiences with
it.

>         4 I run xine 0.43 with dvd plugin packaged (complete-xine-0.43)

The latest is Xine 0.9.2 - so you're WAY behind!  Upgrade immediately.

Which DVD plugin is this?  The standard unencrypted one?  There are three
which handle deCSS; DVDNAV, DMD and Captain CSS's.  I can't get the latter
to work at all, and the first two work but with different problems.

For example, DVDNAV will NOT play the fourth episode of Fawlty Towers, on
the first disk (and that was one of the best, so I was quite annoyed by
that).  DMD will play it, but you have to manually play one chapter at a
time, which is tedious.  No combination (that I've tried) of compile
options and rebuilds has fixed this (DVDNAV) problem for me.

>  ".....unable to open raw dvd device (/dev/rdvd):no such file or
> directory

DMD is known to have problems with the raw dvd device, so presumably other
plugins might be prone to it.

>  Anyone has a solution for this problem??

I think all of the linux players have problems of various levels, so one
must keep up to date at the very least.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org