Various problems with Asus CUV266-D involving SMP, TMP FS and RAM disk

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Tue Oct 30 23:43:08 PST 2001

> I use a CUV4X-D and that lockups at boottime when the BIOS option
> "MPS 1.4 Support" was enabled. You might try to disable this option.
> AFAIK this option is enabled by default with all ASUS dual boards.

Ok, this fixed the lock up problem.

> I think using tmpfs would be better than ram disk for this sort of
> thing. Using tmpfs is just easier and more flexible than ram disks.
> I don't know if it, tmpfs, is more efficient though. Regardless, it
> is quite nice really...

TMPFS is nice (I'm using it for /tmp on all my machines now) but I still
haven't found any way to export it over NFS and am about convinced it's not
possible for some internal reason or other.

The RAM disk certainly has problems depending on which kernel version I
use.  2.4.9 doesn't seem to work at all and 2.4.12 still doesn't work, but
breaks in different ways.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org