Saving permissions of devfs

Erika Pacholleck pchllck at nexgo.de
Mon Oct 29 15:41:33 PST 2001

[29.10.01 19:42 +0100] Fernando Arbeiza <-- :
> Well, here's a little question. The bootscript tries to save a file into
> the directory /var/state. As that directory doesn't exist in an LFS
> system, what's the best place to save that file?

As far as I remember this /var/state was once introduced by FHS for the
former called /var/lib - with the argument that the name /state does
describe better the nature of the contents (to preserve the state of
a program/situation). Anyways, the later FHS renamed this directory back
to /var/lib and I assume this is left from the "/state times".

As FHS forbids to directly create arbitrary subdirectories in /var
(and the data have variable character) I suggest to create a directory
with the package name, so you would keep those data in /var/lib/devfs.

--
Erika Pacholleck <pchllck at nexgo.de> @@ -18,9 +18,12 @@ -p+pa -h+ho -c+ec
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org