Testers wanted for ide-floppy patch

Skip Gaede sgaede at mediaone.net
Mon Oct 29 11:50:56 PST 2001

Folks,

I have a patch to the ide-floppy driver, specific for the Iomega Zip 100
ATAPI drive, that I'd like to see tested. The patch is for the driver
0.97.sv, which was released starting with the 2.4.7 kernel.

My hardware:

ASUS A7V133 Motherboard
Athlon 1200 Mhz processor
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller (2 SCSI drives)
Adaptec CD-RW drive on Primary IDE controller
Iomega ZIP 100 drive on Secondary IDE controller

Problem description:

Set BIOS to handle Zip drive as a small hard disk
Use fdisk to create single ext2 partition in p1
mke2fs /dev/hdc1

After a few minutes, the driver will start reporting missing interrupts.

What my patch does:

The lost interrupt occurs because the device says that it is ready to
receive a packet command, when in fact, it is necessary to wait a while
before writing the packet command. My patch inserts a constant, but
adjustable, delay before writing the packet command. By default, the delay
is 3 ticks in duration (33-50 msec). The delay can be adjusted by writing
the desired value in the settings file in the /proc filesystem.

My drive is hdc.

cd /proc/ide/hdc && cat settings

There is a variable, ticks, which should be set to the value "3". To change
it,

echo "ticks:10" >settings

This sets the value to 10. On my system, setting it to 2 results in lost
interrupts. I have no problems when the delay is set to 10, but the format
operation will take a bit longer.

Stress test:

while true; do mke2fs /dev/hdc1; done

If anyone has similar equipment and trys the patch, I'd be interested in
hearing from you. I've submitted the patch to Paul Bristow, the official
maintainer for the driver.

Thanks,
Skip