CVS server

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Oct 28 19:02:24 PST 2001

Björn Lindberg wrote:

> I want to set up a CVS repository which I can reach from other
> computers. I have already installed CVS, and set up the repository.
> Careful study of the CVS manuals seem to imply that to be able to
> checkout the sources (non-anonymously), I have to run inetd to activate
> cvs on connections. I don't have inetd, and currently have no other use
> for it, so the question is; is there another way?

CVS doesn't have a daemon mode to listen for client connections.  You can
run it with rsh (see  http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_2.html#SEC28
).  You can use ssh instead of rsh (see
http://ccvs.cvshome.org/fom//cache/9.html).  If rsh isn't secure enough,
and ssh isn't available, CVS provides its own authentication called pserver
- that's the one that requires inetd.

It is apparently possible to tunnel pserver over ssh - see the faq link
above.  It is not very detailed though.

Good luck!
Dave

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org