pppd and other stuff

Craig Colton meerkats at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 27 16:22:27 PDT 2001

On Saturday 27 October 2001 12:10 am, you wrote:
> Craig Colton wrote:
> >>
> >> Basically, it's a nice wrapper for pppd - does the same sort of thing as
> >> graphical apps like kppp, but is console based. I don't see the point in
> >> installing it - I just run /etc/ppp/ppp-on, as provided by the pppd
> >> package.
> >
> >  Yes, but with all due respect, wvdial makes kppp look like a snail.
>
> Hmmm, at least now I can say that I know what wvdial is... =)
> Still, I will stick with plain old pppd without any happy
> extras like wvdial.
>
> If you like shell programming and take the "configure-it-by-hand"
> approach, pppd can frankly be a pleasant challenge/surprise when you
> get it all configured. The rewards of creating a working dial-up
> connection with nothing more than pppd and a few shell scripts is
> quite satisfying really.
>
> And the thing is... I can keep accounting logs of all connections.
> Nice for checking against your ISP bill to know if they are trying to
> cheat you out of a few scant pennies here or there ;^)
>
> All WITHOUT a GUI or some other program. I know, wvdial is _not_ a
> GUI proggie... This is just my sales pitch for PPPD =)

After crafting a working pppd script, I guess I can see now why a LFSer might
be offended by the suggestion of wvdial. In my defense though, my ISP will
charge me the same inflated flat fee no matter what. Frankly, Linux can
sometimes be an overwhelming challenge. The intricacies of ppp is something I
haven't addressed yet (bigger rats to kill?).
As for shell programming, I can sum up my skills in two words - I suck :)
(but I'm working on it).
Regards,
Craig

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org