Glibc localization questions

Nelson G. Arzola narzola at vericel.com
Sat Oct 27 04:05:00 PDT 2001

I'm trying to figure out how three directories installed by
Glibc are used -- /usr/share/zoneinfo, /usr/share/i18n, and
/usr/lib/locale.

  In my research, I've determined that /usr/share/zoneinfo is needed to
  correctly configure time.  Only the file /usr/share/zoneinfo/posixrules
  and whichever file /etc/localtime is linked to needs to be present for a
  system to operate correctly.  For those that want to know,
  /usr/share/zoneinfo/posixrules determines daylight savings time (DST)
  rules.  You can find out more if you read the glibc-2.2.4/Makeconfig
  file (look for 'localtime = Factory'.

  However, I have not figured out how the files in /usr/share/i18n and
  /usr/lib/locale are used.

I'm trying to build an LFS system where the compiler and software
development tools are located in a directory that can be mounted from a
CD.  In my case, I'm using /usr/swdev.  I need to know if /usr/share/i18n
and /usr/lib/locale are needed are compile-time, run-time, or both.

Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Nelson

--
Nelson Arzola                         "I always wanted to be
narzola 'at' vericel 'dot' com         somebody, but I should

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org