Various problems with Asus CUV266-D involving SMP, TMP FS and RAM disk

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Fri Oct 26 20:43:21 PDT 2001

> I use a CUV4X-D and that lockups at boottime when the BIOS option
> "MPS 1.4 Support" was enabled. You might try to disable this option.
> AFAIK this option is enabled by default with all ASUS dual boards.

I'll try that, thanks.

> > 2) This box has 2 GB of memory because I want to use 1.5 of it to make
> > huge ram disk to speed up
>
> I do not think you will gain much doing so. Linux will use all available
> memory for caching anyway.

The same box also holds everybody's home directories, so as many as 45
people could be accessing it at the same time.  The RAM/TMP disk should
make sure that the files I want stay in memory, whereas if I count on
caching I'm not going to be sure that "install_image.tar.gz" won't get
flushed out in favor of 20 or 30 smaller files which users ask for.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org