pppd and other stuff

Craig Colton meerkats at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 26 18:06:45 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 07:20 pm, you wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:40:23 -0400, Craig Colton <meerkats at bellsouth.net>
muttered:

> > > You may need setserial to set the irq for the serial port of your
> >
> > modem
> >
> > > and you will definitely need pppd. I don't know download locations,
> >
> > but
> >
> > > they appear first or almost when you search google for the packages'
> > > names.
> > >
> > > You will also need to enable PPP in your kernel.
> >
> > Don't forget wvdial :)
>
> wvdial? I guess yer just kidding here right?
>
> PPPd has all the stuff you'll ever want, and it's not too hard to config
> either (eg someone who did LFS should be able to tackle PPPd as well).
> Wvdial is IMO more for distros and for the "I just want it to work (at
> least, a bit) and I don't care if it's an ugly solution"-people...
>
> Geez, I didn't mean to start a "thing" here. I use both, and had never
heard of wvdial until I joined this list (i.e, its never been included with
any distro I've used). Really,  I had no idea I was suggesting anything
controversial. My apologies. And I mean it.
I must take issue though; if your primary concern is to simply dial up and
connect to your ISP, I wouldn't call wvdial ugly - on the contrary.
Regards,
Craig

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org