lfs on a 386 system

Guillermo Pereyra Irujo gpirujo at mdq.com
Thu Oct 25 04:06:04 PDT 2001

> I'm trying to build an lfs for an old i386 computer using lfs book
> ver. 3.0 (I need a server in my LAN). To save myself a few weeks I've
> built everything on my AMD Duron system(uname -m gives 'i686' ). I've
> successfully built the lfs on a separate harddrive and everything
> works just fine on my AMD system, so I install the hdd in the 386
> computer but I can't boot normally. This is what happens: lilo seems
> to do his work ok I'm seeing all those boot messages on the screen and
> the last line i see is 'Freeing unused kernel memory: 68k freed' after
> that i expect to see 'INIT version X.XX booting' but that won't
> happen. The system just stops and nothing happens ( I can still type
> some garbage to the screen).
>
> I have used no optimizations during the build. I just typed the
> commands from the book. The kernel is compiled for the i386.

Probably you have compiled for 386 *only* the kernel. You need to compile
everything for 386, either changing the -march and -mcpu parameters in
every package, hacking uname to show 386 instead of 686, or both. Search
the archive for that, it has been discussed many times.

--
Guillermo Pereyra Irujo
Mar del Plata, Argentina

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org