NIC Installation

Jonathan Leach jonathan_leach at kestan.screaming.net
Wed Oct 24 22:37:06 PDT 2001

I'm having trouble getting my NIC working under LFS 3.0. It's a D-Link
530TX. When I boot I get the following messages:

PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0fb340, last bus=1

PCI: Using configuration type 1

PCI: Probing PCI hardware

unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent

unknown bridge resource 1: assuming transparent

unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent

PCI: Using IRQ router VIA [1106/0596] at 00.07.0

I'm not sure if this is a problem my old SuSE installation says the same
thing but brings eth0 up fine. I get the following message when LFS tries to
bring it up:

Bring up eth0 interface.SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

eth0: unknown interface: No such device

SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device

eth0: unknown interface: No such device

SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device

eth0: unknown interface: No such device

[OK]

Setting up routing for eth0 interface.SIOCADDART: No such device

[FAILED]

I recompiled the Kernel too add support for VIA Rhine, the module needed to
load my NIC but that didn't help. Will I need to load this module manually
or does the Kernel do it automatically?

In /proc/pci it's registered as a VIA card on IRQ11 I/O 0xe800 [0xe8ff] can
I force these settings on boot-up in LFS, I read the NIC HOW-TO and it
specifies conf.modules.

After reading through a few mail archives at www.linuxfromscratch.org I
tried the following:

Created a file called /etc/modules.conf

># Begin /etc/modules.conf

>alias eth0 via-rhine

># End /etc/modules.conf

ran depmod -ae

Had no effect

ran "modprobe via-rhine" before eth0 was brought up

resulted in many errors about unresolved symbols

Another note too add is the loopback network lo is working fine.

I am a complete newbie so any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advanced

Jonathan Leach

LFS ID: 381

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org