Shadow not working?

Plasmatic plasmatic at softhome.net
Tue Oct 23 15:20:08 PDT 2001

10/23/01 3:55:41 AM, Ian Molton <imolton at clara.net> wrote:

>Hi there...
>
>I just built an LFS box, but seem to have screwed up somewhere.
>
>I've installed shadow, according to the Book, but my passwords are being
>encrypted the 'old' way and stuck in /etc/passwd. there is no file
>/etc/shadow.
>
>any ideas?

In order to "start the ball rolling" you need to run the 'pwconv' program which was installed with the Shadow package.  It will convert your
/etc/passwd into the new style and make the /etc/shadow file.  Once this has been done, any new users and passwords will be saved in
shadow format.

-Plasmatic
Plasmatic(at)SoftHome.net

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org