Xdm and startx

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Mon Oct 22 16:58:38 PDT 2001

Craig Colton wrote:

> On Monday 22 October 2001 01:16 pm, you wrote:
>> I compiled Xfree 4.1.0 and after some trouble (Thanks to Cris..) i made
>> progresses.
>>
>> Still remain a (not little) problem: if i execute xdm it's all ok but if i
>> run startx then i get this error: "xauth:command not found"
       ^^^^^^
see below ---

> There are some much more capable than I of tackling this, but noone's
> stepping up to the plate - so I'll try.
> Seems like I had this problem or one like it and I tweaked
> /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config. See if yours looks like mine. I think I changed the
> "DisplayManager._  authorize: from true to false. This solved my problem, but
> it may have opened a security hole. I wasn't too worried using dial-up on my
> home computers, but one should probably find a proper solution to this (don't
> know where). See if this doesn't help, at least you'd know where the problem
> is.

>From the reference above... This has nothing to do with xdm. xdm does
not give error, but startx does. To diagnose, from a VT /dev/tty[1-6]
do a `echo $PATH' and see if it contains /usr/X11R6/bin .

If your PATH does not contain the path to startx and friends then you
will get this error. Add /usr/X11R6/bin to your PATH; refer to the
actual /usr/X11R6/bin/startx script for more info about how startx is
doing its thing...

HTH
--
Cheers,