Printing addresses

Chris F.A. Johnson c.f.a.johnson at home.com
Sun Oct 21 16:00:26 PDT 2001

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Jan Stifter wrote:

> After searching freshmeat without success: I am looking for a program to
> manage my addresses (not email-adresses) and to be able to print them in a
> format I can specify:
>
> adr1    adr2      adr3
> adr4    adr5      adr6
> adr19  adr20     adr21
>
> on each page.
>
> Can anybody give me a hint, how to do this?

I'm surprised you can't find anything to do it; there are all sorts of
address book programs around.

I expect it would be fairly simple with a DBMS.

Otherwise, it could be programmed in almost any language; I'd user either
C or shell scripts, depending on the size of the database and the
complexity of the output requirements.

Input and editing through an HTML form would be easy to implement, once
you've decided on the database format.

Given my druthers, I'd output either as fixed-width characters or
PostScript. Deciding how you want to specify the output would be the most
important thing, and would determine the complexity of the output routine.

[P.S. I'm available for contract programming.]

	Chris F.A. Johnson	    bq933 at torfree.net
	c.f.a.johnson at home.com	    http://cfaj.freeshell.org
	cfaj at freeshell.org	    http://members.home.net/c.f.a.johnson

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org