Cross compiling (once again)

Kaj Merten Berggreen kmb at engineering-consultant.de
Sat Oct 20 01:30:35 PDT 2001

Mark Hymers wrote:

> Have you had a look at the cross-compiling hint at:
> http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/crosscompiling-x86.txt

Yes, I did, but didn't get, how they've managed to get the gcc, kernel
and glibc compiled for a different machine. I started with my SuSE 7.2
ran every configure-script with --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu and have set
CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to -march=i386 and have unset it wherever it was
recommended in the book. I didn't write patches because I don't know
how to do it. Now the packages like binutils and glibc are i686-
optimized and thus don't run on a 386, right? Now what can I do to get
a >complete< minimal system, which can be moved to the old machine?

Kaj M.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org