SSH trouble again

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Fri Oct 19 11:15:22 PDT 2001

J.A. Neitzel wrote:
> If "no controlling tty" is still the error you see,
> check the permissions on /dev/tty . See `man 4 tty' for more info, but
> it is important for a number of reasons that this device file be set
> to mode 0666 .

Also, while you are at check the permissions on /dev/ptmx . It has
basically the same role as /dev/tty, except that /dev/ptmx deals with
pseudo-terminals (ptys) as they relate to devpts...

Also, you can check the modes on /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm or whatever
others you might use (Eterm, rxvt, etc...) to be sure they are correct.
"Correct", as used here, is entirely dependent on how you have things
setup on your system. I can't say more.

The xterm mode is certainly the least likely problem. If you can run
xterm without errors, you can probably ignore this suggestion. If this
were the problem, then you wouldn't get an xterm and would have an
error of some sort in your X error log (if you keep one).

I only pointed to this because xterm and friends deal directly with
/dev/ptmx if you are using devpts. I stop now =)
--
Jeff

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org