Some thoughts after finished installation

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Oct 19 03:47:18 PDT 2001

On Thursday 18 October 2001 23:28, Ian Molton wrote:

> Hmm. Sawfish has been ***ROCK*** solid here. you must have broken it
> somehow.

Can't see how broken it could be - it's a standard set of Ximian packages
installed over RH6.2. Possibly it doesn't like running over a network - does
anyone else use NCD thin clients with Gnome? In any case, Windowmaker didn't
have problems running off O2 workstations.

> > As for Nautilus, we found it unusable. Simply running it was enough to
> > drastically slow the machine for everyone else - they're high-spec
> > machines  (dual-P3 1GHz, 2Gb memory) but running *one* copy of Nautilus
> > sent the load  average up to around 5-6.
>
> That doesnt sound right to me. Its **SLOW**, granted, but its never been
> THAT bad.

Again, a stock Ximian package. No matter - it's no longer installed, and in
any case, most people I know at work prefer to do file management with an
xterm anyway (and the few who don't use mc).

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org