low latency

Martin Bishop marbis at subdimension.com
Wed Oct 17 18:39:11 PDT 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:05:10 +0200
elko <elko at home.nl> wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 October 2001 20:29, Ian Molton wrote:

<cut>

> ----[ SNIP ]----
> [elko at ElkOS /proc]$ dmesg | grep proc;free -m
> Detected 851.932 MHz processor.
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:           564        320        243          0         18
> 161
> -/+ buffers/cache:        140        423
> Swap:         1533          0       1533
> ----[ SNIP ]----
>
> and compiling a kernel only takes about 10-15 minutes now,
> instead of 50 minutes, so that's Great Fun (tm) too !!
>
> I'm so happy ;^)

<cut>

Hi,

I hope you're kidding with that 50 minutes thing.. :)

Even without the preempt patch, my kernel compile would only take 8-9
minutes, and I got less memory than you (256mb). My cpu is an athlon 1ghz,
but I don't think it would make that huge a diff.

I haven't timed the kernel compile after the patch so I don't know if it
has improved or not.

Please say you're kidding about the 50 minutes compile time :)
M.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org