building GCONF (gnome)

Marco Rinck marco at romulus23.de
Wed Oct 17 16:42:33 PDT 2001

Hi all!

I finally decided to give gnome a try. I have tried it once in the
past but since then many has happend.

Ok, I followed the instructions on
http://www.gnome.org/start/installing/index.php3 and all was fine til
I tried to compile GCONF-1.1.3

Firstly I had to see that these "official" install instructions are
rather old and many packages are outdated. Then as the configure
script of GCONF it said to me it needs pkg-config as an installed
package. The website didn't say so, even the README of GCONF doesn't
mention it. Ok, it gave me the website to download it from, I
downloaded and installed it.
Now when I run configure it says me the following:

..
creating libtool
FYI:  Using default config source
xml::${sysconfdir}/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults for schema installation
FYI:  Will build with debugging spew and checks
checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for gmodule-2.0 >= 1.3.5 gobject-2.0 >= 1.3.5 ORBit-2.0 >=
2.3.94... Package gmodule-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search
path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gmodule-2.0.pc'
No package 'gmodule-2.0' found

configure: error: Library requirements (gmodule-2.0 >= 1.3.5
gobject-2.0 >= 1.3.5 ORBit-2.0 >= 2.3.94) not met; consider adjusting
the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a
nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

I can't find any packages named "gmodule" or "gobject" neither
on gnome website nor freshmeat or google. I have tried to run "export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local:/usr/local/lib" but that didn't help either
(/usr/local is the prefix for all previously installed gnome
packages.)

What have I done wrong?

--
Ciao,