How does cvs work?

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Wed Oct 17 11:52:32 PDT 2001

Chris Lingard wrote:

> I have used cvs at work many years ago.  I have set up cvs and RCS and have
> a CVSROOT /cvsroot, and a link from /home to /cvsroot;  it is writeable and
> I can check in local source trees.
>
> Following the instructions on the web I have tried:
>
> bash-2.05$ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.linuxfromscratch.org:/cvsroot
> login
> cvs login: Sorry, you don't have sufficient access to
> :pserver:anonymous at cvs.linuxfromscratch.org:/cvsroot
> cvs [login aborted]:
> :pserver:anonymous at cvs.linuxfromscratch.org:/cvsroot/CVSROOT: No such file
> or directory
> bash-2.05$ ls /cvsroot/
> CVSROOT  cvs
> bash-2.05$
>
> What have I missed doing?

Any chance you can specify exactly what you would like to be doing
here? From what you have written, it looks to me like you want to
access the CVS at cvs.linuxfromscratch.org.

But, you have also setup a repository on your local machine. Your
local repository and the repository at cvs.linuxfromscratch.org have
nothing to do with one another unless I am missing something.

You don't need a local repository to access a remote repository.

If all you want to do is access the cvs version of the book?
Look here for more info:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/download/cvs.shtml
--
Jeff