Book software

Marc Heerdink marc at koelkast.net
Wed Oct 17 09:28:56 PDT 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:58:03 -0400, "Kurt V. Hindenburg" <khindenburg at cherrycoke.iquest.net> muttered:
> In all my years using linux (since 2.0.x) I've never set up a firewall
> for
> my dial-up connection.  What is the consensus on the need for a firewall
> for dial-ups?

Concensus? Explain :) I'm not native english.

> I've never heard of or needed lcms...

LCMS is a library needed my Libmng, that is a library for animated PNGs. If you don't need it, don't use it :)

> Why not install ungif library?  Although I don't use gifs, it is nice to
> be
> able to view them if you download some icons or something.

You're free to install libungif, just like any other image format...

> What does links have that lynx doesn't?

Frame support, table support, and unfortunately not passive FTP support.

> SDL - If I recall, you have to install a number of packages to get SDL
> up
> and running...SDL_image/mixer/net

Nope... plain SDL provides a lot of functionality from itself as well... The packs you mention can be used to expand SDL, eg the SDL_mixer provides comfy a way to play wavs, oggs and mp3.

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc at koelkast.net
http://www.koelkast.net/