rename root

Chris F.A. Johnson c.f.a.johnson at home.com
Wed Oct 17 00:19:46 PDT 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Zhongming Mou wrote:

> Someone correct me if that's wrong, it is NOT possible to rename the user
> "root" in Unix-like operating systems.

It's possible, but not advisable, as many things depend on it.

However, you can create other users with root privileges by duplicating
the root entry in the password and shadow files (use vipw), and changing
the name, and if you like, the home directory and shell.

It's safest to leave the user "root" with the default shell, or scripts
may break.

	Chris F.A. Johnson	    bq933 at torfree.net
	c.f.a.johnson at home.com	    http://cfaj.freeshell.org
	cfaj at freeshell.org	    http://members.home.net/c.f.a.johnson