Some thoughts after finished installation

Simon Williams lfs at sis-domain.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 16:03:12 PDT 2001

In message <20011016235304.A1894 at markcomp.hymers.org.uk>, Mark Hymers
<markh at linuxfromscratch.org> writes
>On Wed, 17, Oct, 2001 at 01:54:18AM +0200, Fabio Fracassi spoke thus..
>>
>> > E-Mail:   i suggest Sylpheed, it's very good. Or, for the best futures,
>> > Kmail WWW:   for sure Konqueror is the best!
>> > irc:        i'm using xchat with great satisfation
>> > Ftp:        try Gftp, not bad...
>> > For the other things....i'm still looking for something good to play
>> > movies, cd's and mp3.
>> >
>> mplayer for movies (migth know mp3's too) the gui is not to far yet, but
>> plays dvd's divx and other stuff fine, without Closed source dll's and easy
>> to setup.
>> xmms or freeamp for mp3/ogg-vorbis
>Can I just check something?  Does mplayer play encrypted (i.e. region
>encoded) DVDs?  I've been looking for some decent DVD software for Linux
>for some time...  If it does, do I need an external library or something
>to use my DVDs?  I'd really like to be able to watch Blackadder under
>Linux ;-)

Xine <http://xine.sourceforge.net> is supposed to be quite good,
although I couldn't get it to work under Slackware 8.0.  I'll give it
another go under LFS-3.0.  The patched (to play encrypted DVDs) version
can be found at http://skyblade.homeip.net/xine/.

--
Simon <simon at sis-domain.demon.co.uk> PGP: 0x099977D0
No, I didn't lose my mind; it was stolen by aliens.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org