Some thoughts after finished installation

Stefano texstefano at libero.it
Tue Oct 16 16:23:48 PDT 2001

> Hey there,
> I've just finished my installation of LFS (CVS Version, not a week old). So
> I've made my thoughts about what to do with this fresh install. Currently,
> I need the following:
>
> 1. a GUI. I like bash, but I also want comfort ;)
> 2. Sound
> 3. DivX
> 4. IRC
> 5. FTP
> 6. WWW
> 7. E-Mail
>
> XFree is a clear thing. I've decided using Blackbox as window manager,
> because it's simple (I mean not overloaded), fast, small, and good to work
> with (in my opinion).
> XMMS is a sure thing, I like WinAmp ;-)
> DivX...I really don't have a clue which player is the best. Or what do I
> need in order to play DivX Movies...
> IRC...I've used KVIrc, when I was using Mandrake 8.0, but I didn't like it
> much
> FTP... only program so far that I know is ncftp, but its for console. I've
> looked at the homepage of iglooftp, and this thingy looks very interesting
> to me. Anyone had made some experience with this?
> WWW... I thought of Mozilla, Netscape is too big and has "features" I
> really don't need.
> E-Mail... I don't have any idea what do I need to have E-Mail work for me.
> Neither I have an idea which program to choose. I've seen Evolution, and it
> looks great, but this one will only run on GNome (or not? :D )
>
> So that's it. These are the points my LFS must have for me, in order to use
> it. I hope someone could help me (suggest a program or something else) with
> the divx, irc, ftp, www part of it. Or just make a suggestion, for example
> if you think that xmms is a bunch of shit  ;-).
>
> Be advised that I personally think I'm a newbie to experienced user in
> linux.
>
> Thanks for your help
>     Jeriko One
>
> P.S.: Sorry for my poor english, I wasn't the best at school ;-)

E-Mail:   i suggest Sylpheed, it's very good. Or, for the best futures, Kmail
WWW:   for sure Konqueror is the best!
irc:        i'm using xchat with great satisfation
Ftp:        try Gftp, not bad...
For the other things....i'm still looking for something good to play movies,
cd's and mp3.

Hope this help,

Stefano
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org