low latency

Ian Molton imolton at clara.net
Tue Oct 16 01:21:49 PDT 2001

On stardate Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:37:59 +0000
gregturp began the full scale invasion of earth with the following words:

> On Monday 15 October 2001 09:57 pm, you wrote:
> > Hi there...
> >
> > I decided to check out the 'low latency' stuff thats been hitting the
> news
> > lately.
> >
> > I downloaded 2.4.7 and patched it up, and I have to say I am
> *IMPRESSED*.
> >
> > It Rocks!
> >
> > Anyone else tried it?
>
> Is it that your audio apps are better?

that, and video doesnt skip as much when moving other windows about. Top
also shows less time wasted in kernel code (0nly 15-30% with top set to
0.01 secs)

> Or are you talking about the pre-emptive kernel
> and now have a much faster system?

Indeed.

> I haven't tried them (yet).  But, what do you mean "rocks"?
> In what way?

Apparently totally stable, and reduces overheads in the kernel.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org