low latency

Ian Molton imolton at clara.net
Tue Oct 16 01:18:03 PDT 2001

On stardate Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:55:20 -0400
Gerard began the full scale invasion of earth with the following words:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 07:57:39PM -0300, Adolfo Delorenzo wrote:
> > Yup. Actually I've been patching my 2.4 kernels since 2.4.0
> >
> > A LFS box with a low latency patched kernel can render VERY interesting
> > performance results, specially with databases or I/O intensive apps.
>
> I'm guessing compiling LFS systems almost all day long falls under I/O
> intensive apps.
>
> Are there downsides from the low latency patch? It improves I/O handling
> and some other things i've heard on linux kernel list, but it was never
> clear to me if there are performance degradations in other areas.
>
> And, I can't seem to find the low latency patches. URL please

IT reduces throughput /ever/ so slightly. Unless you run a 500+ connections
at a time server, you'll never notice, but you do get *silky smooth*
performance.

the preempt patches *ROCK*
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org