low latency

Adolfo Delorenzo adelorenzo at dinossauro.com
Mon Oct 15 16:30:06 PDT 2001

I haven't noticed any significant degradations to be quite honest on any
other area of the system. One of my intial fears with a low latency patched
kernel was stability, which after a 92 day uptime was over (I had to boot
the machine in order to install a new kernel,patched by the way.... :) ).

I suggest care when implementing a low latency patched kernel and suggest
you go for Anderw Morton's patches. And yes, compiling a kernel can be
achieved in less time with the patch. Finally, unless there you really need
to set up a heavy duty box (databaes, three digit users web server, etc...),
there is no real need to patch your kernel.

Below a very interesting O'Reilly article on the subject with links to the
aforementioned patches.
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/11/17/low_latency.html

Rgds,

Delorenzo