MD5

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Mon Oct 15 16:15:45 PDT 2001

> I followed the tips "shadowpasswd_plus", but my system still uses DES. I
> also followed the tips in the archive @
> http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2000/11/0636.html

Even if MD5 is installed and working, programs like passwd won't use it by
default.  Can I guess passwd is the place you're having the trouble?

In login.defs make sure you set "MD_5_CRYPT_ENAB" to "yes"

DON'T set it to "true" as I did at first; that doesn't work.  There's some
tip file somewhere (maybe even the manual) which says to do that, and it's
just plain wrong.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org