Web Server LFS-style!!!!

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Mon Oct 15 11:41:10 PDT 2001

Just to point out some other options...

> For mail I'd use qmail (www.qmail.org)

For the SMTP part, sendmail is the classic choice, but a bit challenging
to setup.  You'll probably also want to set up POP3 access for the
clients.  I'd recoment QPopper for that.
(http://www.eudora.com/qpopper_general/)

> For http, well... I'd use apache (www.apache.org)

If they just need a simple little webserver, Boa is small, fast, and
pretty easy to set up.  (http://www.boa.org/)

> useful too, especially combined with mysql (www.mysql.com))

PostgreSQL is also quite good, though perhaps more challenging to set
up.  (http://www.postgresql.org/)

> If you really wanna overload the box with functions, you
> might also want to
> get xntpd, to synchronize the clock on the box, so that all the
> windows-clients can
> synch their time via samba.

Besides xntpd, available @ (http://www.ccd.bnl.gov/xntp/) there is also
the very robust NTP package Latest stable is @