Quake 3 Arena users: please read!

Marc Heerdink marc at koelkast.net
Mon Oct 15 11:31:55 PDT 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:35:01 +0200, Marc Heerdink <marc at koelkast.net> muttered:
> Hi all
> If you have Quake III Arena on your box, and if it plays well in Linux,
> please reply to this thread and tell me:
>
> 1) Your current kernel version
> 2) Your glibc version
> 3) Your X version
> 4) Your Quake III Arena version
> 5) Your CPU
> 6) Your Card
> 7) The driver you are using (native XFree/other)
> 8) The kernel version glibc was linked against
>
> Both (2) and (8) can be obtained from the output that running
> /lib/libc.so.6 generates (yes, this library is executable).
>
> If I get success stories, I'll build LFS systems with these specs and
> test Q3A on it. Eventually, I hope I'll find the source of my problems,
> and I'll submit it as a bug report to the authors of the package or to
> the authors of Q3A (depends...).

OK... there's an easy fix for every complicated problem, and Jared Kidd showed me :)

But (there's always a but) this leads me to another problem. When starting Quake 3, I get this:

------- sound initialization -------
------------------------------------
Received signal 11, exiting...

as the last 3 lines of output. I thought this problem was related with my previous one, but it isn't :(.

I am in the lucky posession of 2 sound cards, one onboard (Via 686B southbridge) and one card (Aureal Vortex 2). The drivers for the Aureal Vortex 2 are not reliable enough yet, so I use the card only for music etc, and the onboard card for stuff like games and normal sounds. The onboard sound is normally /dev/dsp, the vortex 2 is /dev/dsp1.

When I rename /dev/dsp to something else, and then rename dsp1 to dsp, the game works and I get sound! Whoohoo! But there's something wrong with the VIA 686B drivers apperantly. My friend (yes, again my friend ;) has only a sb live! (no onboard sound) that's configured as /dev/dsp as well. He gets exactly the same error as above. Could this be a kernel-sound-driver problem? (The au8830 driver I use is only available as an external module.. and it still sucks, then)

So let me rephrase the question. Is anybody running Q3A with kernel 2.4.5+ (2.4.5 is the latest kernel that worked here) and kernel sound drivers who has no problems or whatsoever?

TIA

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc at koelkast.net