Quake 3 Arena users: please read!

Marc Heerdink marc at koelkast.net
Mon Oct 15 10:35:01 PDT 2001

Hi all

When playing Q3A, I get black borders if the resolution of Q3A is smaller than my desktop resolution, and the game is placed in the bottom left corner. So when I start Q3A at 640x480, I get this:

 --------
|        |
|---     |
| * |    |
 --------

with the game playing in the section marked with *. If I increase the resolution, the black borders schrink, and the game grows. If the game resolution is bigger than the screen resolution, I get only the upper right part of the game. I am certain that this isn't caused by an improperly configured Q3A.

The weird part is, that I haven't had these problems before my previous LFS system. My previous LFS used glibc 2.2.4 and kernel 2.4.9, this one glibc 2.2.4 and kernel 2.4.10-ac11/12. Both use XFree 4.1.0 and gcc 2.95.3. I know I'm not the only one who is suffering from this problem, because a friend of mine has exactly the same problem. He has a system quite comparable to mine though (AMD K7 CPU, Matrox G400 card) so we can't be sure yet.

If you have Quake III Arena on your box, and if it plays well in Linux, please reply to this thread and tell me:

1) Your current kernel version
2) Your glibc version
3) Your X version
4) Your Quake III Arena version
5) Your CPU
6) Your Card
7) The driver you are using (native XFree/other)
8) The kernel version glibc was linked against

Both (2) and (8) can be obtained from the output that running /lib/libc.so.6 generates (yes, this library is executable).

If I get success stories, I'll build LFS systems with these specs and test Q3A on it. Eventually, I hope I'll find the source of my problems, and I'll submit it as a bug report to the authors of the package or to the authors of Q3A (depends...).

Thanks in Advantage

PS Only give me pointers if you really know what you're talking about, because you can assume that I've tried about anything in my power to trace the source of the problems. I think it's caused either by the kernel headers glibc was linked against, or glibc 2.2.4 itself.

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc at koelkast.net
http://www.koelkast.net/