Internet sharing

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 09:48:38 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeroen Coumans" <jeroencoumans at hotmail.com>
To: <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: Internet sharing

>> I'm sorry, but do you mean setting up your Linux box to use your Win98
box
>> as a gateway?  If so, merely run 'route add default gw IP IF' at
>> startup, after ifconfig runs, where IP is that of your windows gateway
and
>> IF is the name of the NIC which connects to that box (most likely
>> eth0).  This will make any packets addressed to IP's outside of your
local
>> LAN (anything that isn't apart of it), routed to your Windows gateway
>> which will deal with it appropriately.  Also, make sure that you have
>> 'nameserver IP' in your /etc/resolv.conf, again using the IP of your
>> Windows box, so that the DNS works properly.  That's it!  If you want you
>> can run DHCP, but in a small home setting using only a couple boxes,
>> it's not necessary; static IPs will work just fine.  I just did all of
>> this last night on my once-again-rebuilt LFS box, so it should be
accurate.
>> Have
>> fun!
> Yes, thanx this also did it for winXP! *finally*
> Woohoo!
So, everytime I now enter an internet address on my linux box, the winbox
starts dialing and the connection runs through it. However, I want some more
control. I want to be asked for confirmation before dialing, and I want to
be able to terminate the connection, all from linux of course. How do I do
this? Do I need additional software? If so, which one?
TIA
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org