KDE-Hint: compiling libvorbis-1.0rc2

Marc Heerdink marc at koelkast.net
Mon Oct 15 05:09:50 PDT 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:00:38 +0200
"MJ POLLARD MJ" <12322741 at puknet.puk.ac.za> wrote:

> I built a LFS-3.0 system, added X, then got started on the kde-hint. Everything went fine until I tried to compile said library. It exits with fatal signal 11 from compiler on the file lib/envelope.c
>
> * I rebooted, and tried again, same sig11
> * I removed envelope from Makefile, the compile goes on and fails on some other file with same sig11
>
> I noticed that envelope.c and this other file compiles to a .lo extention. Normal .o extention object files gives me no problems.
>
> Now i have 2 questions:
> 1) has anyone else had this problem, and/or could suggest a fix for it
> 2) What is a .lo object file that the compiler produces and how is it different from a .o file
>
> Thanx in advance

Happened here as well, but just on one of my boxes. The first, a K6 300 w/ 64 MB RAM, glibc 2.2.4, gcc 2.95.3 and kernel 2.4.10 compiled it flawlessly. The second, TB 750 w/384 MB RAM, glibc 2.2.4, gcc 2.95.3 and kernel 2.4.10-ac12 failed the compile. Pretty strage, coz they use basically the same software. I wonder if it may be caused by the combination of an i686 platform and gcc 2.95.3 (the K6 is i586)...

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc at koelkast.net
http://www.koelkast.net/