Internet sharing

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 14 14:13:13 PDT 2001

> I'm sorry, but do you mean setting up your Linux box to use your Win98 box
as a gateway?  If so, merely run 'route add default gw IP IF' at
> startup, after ifconfig runs, where IP is that of your windows gateway and
IF is the name of the NIC which connects to that box (most likely
> eth0).  This will make any packets addressed to IP's outside of your local
LAN (anything that isn't apart of it), routed to your Windows gateway
> which will deal with it appropriately.  Also, make sure that you have
'nameserver IP' in your /etc/resolv.conf, again using the IP of your
> Windows box, so that the DNS works properly.  That's it!  If you want you
can run DHCP, but in a small home setting using only a couple boxes,
> it's not necessary; static IPs will work just fine.  I just did all of
this last night on my once-again-rebuilt LFS box, so it should be accurate.
Have
> fun!
Yes, thanx this also did it for winXP! *finally*
Woohoo!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org