word processor

Dave Ayers fogey at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 14 13:11:06 PDT 2001

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 23:20:51 +0000
Stefano <texstefano at libero.it> wrote:

> On Sunday 14 October 2001 16:04, you wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:54:23 +0200
> >
> > Stefano <texstefano at libero.it> wrote:
> > > Just two questions about word processor:
> > > - What's the most reliable and ".doc compliant" word
processor

> > for linux?
>

> > For reliability, WordPerfect 8 and StarOffice 5.2 have worked
for
> > me fine and I have no trouble importing and exporting Word or
> > Excel files (if they aren't too complicated). I also use
AbiWord,
> > which keeps getting better at handling other formats, but it
> > still isn't quite mature yet.
>
> Well, i like staroffice, do i need to install it from source or
is there
> another way? ( cos i already have the binary version)
>
> Stefano
> --

I always install it from source, but there may be a binary
available that works. The install from source has always worked
for me just fine, although I haven't installed it on my LFS
system yet. I'll be doing that soon, I hope. My goal is to have
my LFS ready for my primary system by the end of the year.

Dave

--
David C. Ayers
Quincy, Illinois, USA