bb background

drowsy at users.sourceforge.net drowsy at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Oct 14 15:23:49 PDT 2001

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Stefano wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 11:34:10 +0100 (BST)
><drowsy at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Stefano wrote:
>>

>> >I'm totally lost between .xinitrc and .bsetbgrc trying to set a default background image.
>> >bsetbg seems to work only with colors, if i run "bsetbg -f /path to image/image.jpg" nothing happens :-(
>> >I've tried all the combinations of xv and bsetbg in .xinitrc and .bsetbgrc but none of them worked.
>> >Can someone write it down for me what exactly put in that files, please?
>> >Thanks a lot,
>> >
>> >Stefano
>> >

>> not a solution, but a suggestion, have you tried xv ?
>> ( ftp://ftp.cis.upenn.edu/pub/xv/ ) It's not gpl'ed (shareware for
>> personal use) but I have a habit of taking the easy way out.
>>
>> xv -root -max -quit filename.jpg
>
>Well, I've already tried this command and it works perfectly when i'm in Xterm,
>but it doesn't work inside .xinitrc or .bsetbgrc, so i have to write it down every time after running X.
>I was looking for a script to set it up automatically when i run startx.
>
>Stefano

I've played around with my xinitrc since it was installed, so it no
longer resembles anything sane, but the file /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is
the system-wide xinitrd, which should call $HOME/.xinitrc if it
exists. This is from memory, please correct me if I'm wrong =)

something like:

---CUT---
if [ -f $HOME/.xinitrc ]; then
    . $HOME/.xinitrc
else
    twm &
    xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
    xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
    xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
    exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login
fi

---CUT---

... at the end of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc will allow each user to have
his/her own config, falling back on the defaults if it's not there.

my ~/.xinitrc reads:

---CUT---
xv -root -max -quit ~/.blackbox/backgrounds/nijikon.jpg
bbmail -w &
blackbox

---CUT---

Unless I've misread the problem, this should hopefully help.

The other alternative, which has just this moment sprung to mind, is
that a bb theme will load _after_ bsetbg / xv , so it's background
will replace what you've chosen. If this is the case, track down your
current style (It's listed in ~/.blackboxrc as session.styleFile ),
and find the line in that style that starts rootCommand  This is the
command that style uses to set the background. Comment it out with the
! character to prevent it altering your background.

Now I'm not sure if I'm helping or confusing the issue, these are what
I've done, they might not be the best solutions, but they worked at
the time.

HTH, Shaun.

(Trying desperately to give back some of the help I've received over
the last year.)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org