Internet sharing

Plasmatic plasmatic at softhome.net
Sun Oct 14 13:56:44 PDT 2001

10/14/01 5:38:40 AM, Craig Colton <meerkats at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>On Sunday 14 October 2001 03:37 am, you wrote:
>>
>> 	Actually any Windows box can be used to share internet, you just need the
>> appropriate tools.  I'm currently using Sygate Home Network on my Win98
>> (first edition) box (used by the family, so not Linux).  Although I would
>> probably recommend another program, this one works.  It uses NAT (aka IP
>> Masquerading), which allows you to have unlimited number of IP's "hidden"
>> behind one exterior IP.  The program itself includes configurable access
>> rules (if this port is opened out, allow connections inward through this
>> port) as well as things such as blacklisting, just like IPchains.  For my
>> purposes it works just fine.  Of course, you could probably do with a much
>> more basic program (vproxy?) to give you just the basic feautres.  This
>> program uses quite a bit of resources, which is unfortunate.  However, with
>> a simple NAT proxy program, of which many are available (www.tucows.com)
>> you should be able to share Internet with any Windows box.  One I might
>> suggest is All Aboard 2000.  I used it for a friend's system and she's
>> never problems yet.  It was merely a matter of running the program and
>> everything set itself up.  But now I'm rambling :)
>>
>> --------------------------
>> -Plasmatic
>> Plasmatic(at)SoftHome.net
>

>I've a copy of Sygate - and have 2 Win98 computers. How might I get started
>setting up my Linux/LFS machine to use it (home network only)? I'm presently
>using IPtables to enable a gateway the one direction, but I'd also like to be
>able to share the other way (my winmodems seem to be a bit snappier than the
>older ISA in my LFS box) - this thread resparked my interest.
>I'll be gone for a week, thank you for any advice.
>
>   Regards,
>   Craig

I'm sorry, but do you mean setting up your Linux box to use your Win98 box as a gateway?  If so, merely run 'route add default gw IP IF' at
startup, after ifconfig runs, where IP is that of your windows gateway and IF is the name of the NIC which connects to that box (most likely
eth0).  This will make any packets addressed to IP's outside of your local LAN (anything that isn't apart of it), routed to your Windows gateway
which will deal with it appropriately.  Also, make sure that you have 'nameserver IP' in your /etc/resolv.conf, again using the IP of your
Windows box, so that the DNS works properly.  That's it!  If you want you can run DHCP, but in a small home setting using only a couple boxes,
it's not necessary; static IPs will work just fine.  I just did all of this last night on my once-again-rebuilt LFS box, so it should be accurate.  Have
fun!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org